Friday, August 29, 2008

Catching up

This week was super fun and super busy.

On Sunday, the family went to Gabe's friend Helena's birthday party. It was Cinderella themed and the mom did such an amazing job. There were chores to do (because that's what Cinderella had to do before the ball), a key hunt which opened a big treasure box of tiaras and shawls for the girls and crowns and swords for the boys. Then we went on a carriage ride (horse and all) through the park. The pictures are from our fun day.

On Monday, we gardened and washed daddy's car, went to the playground, napped, and took Sam on several walks, one to the ice cream store.

On Tuesday, we met a couple of friends at a different playground, packed a picnic lunch and stayed for hours. That night I started teaching again.

On Wednesday, we went to our mommy playschool. The theme was colors. This week we met in a park, no playground in sight. We warmed up with chasing bubbles (1st picture below) and then we were about to do our stretches and songs when a group of about 50 military guys came running up. They did 20 minutes of exercises in a circle, which the kids loved and mimiced. Next, we mixed paints to learn about primary colors and how secondary colors are formed. Then the kids painted using different brushes, rollers and sponges. Gabe was interested for about 5 minutes and then he said, "mama, I just wanna run." So he ran. We ate lunch together, cleaned up and went home. That night, I met my new students on-line and we chatted about lab assignments.


On Thursday, Gabe and I tried to go to the gym but Gabe was very upset about the idea of me leaving. His friend Rulian was there and Gabe was very excited about playing with him but when we got there, he became very upset when I tried to leave (to the point of hyper-ventilating). This phase comes at a very inopportune time, as he starts preschool next Friday. I worry about him, but I really want him to learn that after I leave, he can (and does) have fun with the other children. Its just that initial fear of me not being there that upsets him. This is a new phase because a month ago, I could drop him off anywhere and he screamed when I picked him up, not left. Anywho, we ran errands, video store, gas, Target, library, and a short trip to the playground. Thursday night I taught. I love my class this semester. The students are great. After class, around 9pm, I took Gabe to Kevin's soccer game. It was a late night but Gabe loved it. He kept saying, "Go dad! Try your personal best." He was copying a five year old that was screaming the same thing at her dad. We went to bed around 11pm.

And it is finally Friday. Ahhh. This morning I went to yoga (I went Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday too), and then Gabe and I packed a lunch and went to playgroup. It was at the beach so Gabe had a great time. On the way, we saw some policemen riding horses near the beach. Gabe was so excited and waved to them. He said, "I wanna ride." I told him that maybe someday he could be a policeman and drive a cool police car or ride a police horse and then I asked, "so Gabe, what do you want to be when you grow up?" He said, "a policeman's horse." I asked if he meant a policeman who rides a horse and he said very adamantly, "No mama, I wanna be a policman's horse." Ok. So cute. We stayed at playgroup for a couple of hours and then came home around 2:30pm, had a snack and napped for 3 hours. We both needed it. Now I am wide awake. We are about to take Sam on a long walk and get some groceries along the way. Tomorrow I am off to yoga and then we head to another birthday party.

Happy Labor Day Weekend!

No comments: