Sunday, March 9, 2008

My March Yoga Challenge


So my yoga studio is doing a March fundraiser called Karma is Action. The challenge is to do more yoga than you normally do and find sponsors to represent you. For example, if you regularly attend Bikram yoga two days a week, increase to four days, and get 10 people to donate $10 each. The money sends children with cancer to an oncology camp so they can get out of the hospital and have some fun out doors. All doctors volunteer their time.

This comes at a very opportune and inopportune time as I haven’t been to yoga in 3 weeks (in February) due to health reasons. I coincidentally showed up to the challenge on March 1. My challenge is to go everyday for 25 days – March 7 through March 31 – and note any improvements in my stamina, appearance, and back. I will ask 10 people for $20. I wish I could make up the four days in March that I have already missed (March 2,3,4 and 6) but that would require two classes for four days and I don’t know if that is going to happen. I also have the added pressure (and encouragement) of a bet between my friend Rafter and I to see who can do the most yoga in March – and he is already 2 days ahead of me. I’m pretty competitive so we’ll see if I bust out three days of two classes just to one up him (or maybe he’ll get my cold and miss a day!). Bad Kim. Bad.

Here are my notes starting with the first three of 25 days.

March 7 (Friday) 6:30AM class – Felt the same, nothing to note.
March 8 (Saturday) 8AM class – A little more flexible in upper back and hamstrings (places where I am always tight). Sit ups seem easier. No back pain, no soreness. I did both sets of camel without my “aid.”
March 9 (Sunday) 8AM class – I didn’t want to get out of bed because I felt so crappy from my cold. I had already slept 10 hours and was sore from lying down too long - thus no reason to lie around more. Rafter and I carpooled, thank God or I may have missed. He hated me for getting him up an hour early due to the time change.
Yoga notes…owww. Upper back and neck are so sore. Hamstrings are tight. Shoulders feel like somebody punched me. The pain in my right trap is back and it was raising hell all through class. My trap hurt in most poses until camel pose (used aid). I am often surprised at what that one big, scary posture can accomplish. It seems to work out a lot of things. I was sore when I left, took two Motrin and Kevin gave me a little back rub. I feel normal now. I’ve had a constant, dull head-ache for the past two days. I drank 3 L of water plus juice both days so its not dehydration. I may need more Potassium and salt. Here’s hoping to a less soar tomorrow.

No comments: