Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Pennies for the fireplace

Today I was sitting on the couch doing my afternoon Su Doku when Gabe started playing on the hearth in front of our fireplace. He said, "Mommy, owls live in fireplace." For a while he has thought that all or some owls live in our fireplace - and they very well may. But then he started removing the screen. I said, "oh no Gabe, the fireplace is no place to play. Its where we have fires and its very dirty." He said, "I want a fire. Make a fire mommy." I tried to explain that the fireplace needed cleaning and that it cost money and we don't have money for the fireplace right now. So no fires." He stood there for a minute and then ran out of the room. When he came back he had four pennies for me. He said, "here mommy, money for the fireplace." So cute and might I add, pretty genius.

1 comment:

Elaine said...

Brilliant, indeed. Lily does the same thing, handing me fake, plastic money sometimes and insisting I do whatever it is I just said we didn't have the money for. I'm thinking when it's time for her to go to college I'll try the reverse and see if it works.